If you where at this years Comic-Con 2012 Game Of Thrones Panel for season 3 then you’ll know everything I’m about to say, but if you didn’t attend this years con listen up.
The “Game of Thrones” Comic-Con panel brought in a packed house to the massive Hall H. With Author George R.R. Martin acting as moderator, stars Richard Madden (Robb Stark), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Rose Leslie (Ygritte) and Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) and producer Carolyn Strauss all talked about Season 3. The panel kicked off with the announcement of the New Season 3 cast:
- Diana Rigg as Lady Olenna Tyrell. Also known as “The Queen of Thorns,” Lady Olenna is the grandmother of Margaery and Loras Tyrell and is, in many ways, the true leader of their powerful family.
- Mackenzie Crook as Orell. A wildling raider, Orell is a “warg” or “skinchanger,” with the ability to enter the mind of an animal and control its actions.
- Clive Russell as Bryndon “The Blackfish” Tully. Known far and wide as “The Blackfish,” Brynden is a famous knight and the uncle of Catelyn Stark. He quarreled bitterly with his brother, Lord Hoster Tully, and the two were estranged for many years.
- Nathalie Emannuel as Missandei. Originally from the peaceful island of Naath, Missandei was sold into slavery as a child, along with her brother. She received education in various languages and became a translator to the slave trader Kraznys in Astapor.
- Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon, the only child of Stannis Baratheon. An avid reader, she escapes her lonely life through myths and stories – her books are her most treasured possessions.
- Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr. A key member of the outlaw band known as the Brotherhood Without Banners, he is a Red Priest, in service of the Lord of Light, and originally hails from the Free City of Myr, in Essos.
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Jojen Reed, a mysterious and enigmatic young man who becomes an important ally to Bran Stark.
- Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed. The eldest daughter of Howland Reed and a staunch Stark loyalist, Meera and her younger brother Jojen seek out Bran Stark to protect him on his hard journey north.
- Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion. Once the lord of Blackhaven and a celebrated warrior, Lord Beric has now become the leader of the Brotherhood Without Banners, a band of vigilante outlaws.
- Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane. A famed wildling warrior and chief lieutenant of the “King Beyond the Wall,” Mance Rayder, Tormund is fearsome and strong, with a large build and a beard to match.
- Philip McGinley as Anguy, an extremely skilled archer and key member of the outlawband known as the Brotherhood Without Banners.
- Tara Fitzgerald as Selyse Baratheon. The wife of Stannis Baratheon, Selyse spends much of her life in seclusion, shut away in a gloomy tower.
- Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully. The younger brother of Catelyn Stark, Edmure has recently become Lord of Riverrun in the wake of his father’s death.
- Anton Lesser as Qyburn, a former maester of the Citadel, who was stripped of his chain many years ago.
Martin opened the panel by cracking a joke about the SNL sketch about the 13-year-old kid who made sure the TV series has plenty of boobies. Then long video recaping season 2 was shown. Afterwards, we got a look at the actors who are playing new characters in season 3. We didn’t see them in character or in costume, and it was each actor and actress saying who they were playing and how excited they were to be part of the show. In the end the panel wasn’t all that great in some areas for the simple fact George R.R. Martin was not a good moderator he lacked energy like he was going through the motions. Some of that missing energy came when it was time for Q&A, but if your a fan of the series and bummed out that you missed the panel don’t be you didn’t miss much that’s if you where looking for any other major announcements.